Thursday, June 16, 2011

Monet's Giverny

The next day we took the train from Paris to Monet's farm and gardens at Giverny.  Walking up the road through the town of Giverny to the house,  I was worried because it was very overcast and pretty cool.  But my first sight of the gardens made me forget that completely.  They were stunning.  It seemed everything was in bloom at once; lush rows of irises, roses and lots of other flowers of whose name I should know.  There were masses of blooms in a seemingly casual design.  But clearly Monet had a strong idea of what would be beautiful to experience, and to paint.

This is the famous lily pond, but when we were there there were no lilies yet.  I was surprised to see that there are two identical Japanese bridges, one on each end of the pond.  It would be a peaceful place to relax if it weren't overrun by tourists.  But it was possible to find a corner to myself and imagine that this idyllic garden was mine alone.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...