Friday, December 23, 2011

St. Mark's Basilica


I painted this last week, based on one of my photos (see below).  I also used an online photo for reference because, when we were there in May, there was a construction barrier over the lower part of the entrance.  This is one of the things I love about painting.  I can make things the way they should be, the way I feel about them, not the way they are.

St. Mark's Basilica was so beautiful and impressive, like a slightly faded but very regal queen holding court in St. Mark's Square.   I really identified with the woman on the left who was just standing still and taking it all in.  I like to do that first, to really absorb what's before me.  I find that when I take a photo, I'm thinking about light and composition and it's more intellectual.   Notice how I switched the two figures on the right, and repositioned the basilica to make a better composition.


Best wishes for a very Happy Holiday!
- Linda

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...