Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Supper at La Fenice


Hi friends!  I'm trying something new.  When you get this email, click on the grey "PaintbrushTravels" to get to my blog and see the current post.  I wanted you all to see my beautiful blog instead of just a boring white email.  Please let me know how it works and if it's an inconvenience.

So here's the post: 

This night in Venice we had had a lovely dinner with our tour group in a cozy restaurant near St Marks Square.  As we wandered back to our hotel, along one twisting alleyway after another we stumbled on this pleasant square.

My eye was first drawn to the restaurant and its inviting tables.  Then Chris recognized the building next door as La Fenice, the famous Venetian opera house.  We had recently read a book about the intrigue and scandal involved in the building's burning down in 1996, and finally being rebuilt and reopened in 2004.  La Fenice means the Phoenix, and the building has lived up to its name.  I liked the contrast of the warm light of the restaurant and the cool blues of the May evening sky reflected in the facade.

This painting is a sketch for a larger painting I'm planning.  I'll keep you posted!

--Linda

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...