Thursday, March 28, 2013

Rooftops-Mont St. Michel


I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted a watercolor from our trip to France.  It was October!  I guess I got side tracked.

 
Mont St. Michel is such an iconic sight, rising out of the marshes as you approach it from a distance.  I imagined the what the thousands of pilgrims who visited the church must have felt as they slowly made their way toward it on foot.  It must have been awe-inspiring and frightening as well because–before they could reach it–they had to traverse dangerous salt flats, where they risked a deadly rushing incoming tide to make their lifetime pilgrimage.  And once they reached the lower gate, it must have been so stirring to trudge up the narrow winding streets filled with other pilgrims and lined with street vendors selling trinkets to the tourists.  Just as it is today.

We were luck to stay the night on the Mount so we had the streets to ourselves in the evening and early morning.  My watercolor shows the view from near our hotel, across the cemetery and the tile rooftops to the distant salt marshes.

–Linda

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...