Thursday, June 6, 2013

"Ana", Portrait Sketch"

"Ana", Portrait Sketch,  oil 9x12

We had a beautiful model, Ana, at our monthly Life Drawing at the Tampa Regional Artists. She's also a very good model–hardly moving–which is more difficult than you'd think.

When I'm painting a portrait,  I'm always determined to get a good likeness, which means constant reworking.  Someone said, "A portrait is a record of corrections", and I agree. At the same time I'm striving to make the values explain the form, for instance to to make sure the shadow side stays dark and the light side shows variation in color temperature.

So in the end, I think it's a good likeness and I like the composition.  The class was 2 1/2 hours, and I always wish I had more time. = )

–Linda


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...