Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"Wellington Botanic Gardens–NZ"

"Wellington Botanical Gardens–NZ", 6x9, watercolor

As I said, Wellington is a city of hills.  And the design of the 62 acres of the Wellington Botanic Garden takes full advantage, featuring beautiful plants, shrubbery and flowers spilling down the hillside towards views of downtown and the bay. 

We took the cute funicular railroad from the city up to the garden.  Unfortunately, the day had started out gray and was now really beginning to look like rain.  So I headed immediately to search for a spot to paint, and Chris set off to explore the garden.   He took these photos of the winding trails lined with flowers while I started sketching.  It soon started to sprinkle, and by the time Chris found his way back to me it had begun to rain in earnest.  I quickly gathered up my things and–holding my pad of watercolor paper upside down to try to keep my painting from getting wet–we made a run for the cafe.  We got drenched on the way, but I managed to keep my painting pretty dry.  You can see a few water drops in the dark green on the left and the brown tree on the right.  I finished the painting in the warm dry cafe while enjoying a delicious cappuccino.





–Linda

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...